Dec 15, 2011

Feliz Navidad!!! Pues...casi la Navidad.

Well, I only have about 15 minutes to write before we have to leave to go to a dinner appointment with a member - the members in Revere 1st ward are pretty much the best! I realize that more and more as I'm able to actually communicate with them :) It's so hard to speak a different language and convey my love for people but I'm starting to get somewhat of a handle on it...kind of. Let's just say I'm improving.

First off: Feliz Navidad!!! Pues...casi la Navidad. Solo faltamos 11 dias! Que loco!

One of our investigators is really picking up speed - she has a new baptismal date and she is really committed to trying to be ready by then. Yay!! She is the best! She came to church this last week and brought her friend and her friend's little daughter! How cool! Plus, she's coming again this next week and has already invited two more friends to come with her. I'm really excited about that!

So, we get T-texts on the Saturday before transfers (transfers are tomorrow) and they tell us where everyone is going and you can pretty much guess who their companions are going to be based on the district that they're moved to. So...wildcard this transfer was that President started two new areas for the Spanish Hermanas! Providence, Rhode Island and Lynn, MA. To open the one in Lynn for the Hermanas, our roommates are going to be leaving us! They transferred both of them, together, to go work in the Spanish branch in Lynn with another set of elders. It's super exciting for them (they both have been serving in English but they both speak Spanish) but I'm going to be super sad that they're leaving us all by our lonesies! I am really learning to love my companion but I don't know that I'll be able to be without other friends to talk to and goof off with in the mornings and evenings. Luckily they're still in our zone so I'll get to see them every once in a while.

As for me - I will be here in Revere 1st ward for another 6 weeks at least :) I'm not terribly surprised. I think they usually like greenies to finish the first 12 weeks with their trainer so that they can complete the "12-week training." So, you can keep sending stuff to our address here unless we get moved apartments, but I really doubt we will. 

So, we got to go to the temple last Tuesday...or Thursday...I don't remember. At any rate - it was AMAZING!!! Since I've had my temple recommend I've been able to go just about every week except for these last 6 weeks so it was really great to get to go again. The Boston Temple is beautiful! It just makes me so happy to be there and to have time to think and pray. When we finished the session, we had a little extra time because two zones went that day and we had to wait for the other zone to finish their session before a testimony meeting at the Belmont chapel which is just down the hill from the temple. So, President Evans organized us into groups and, lucky us, we got to go to baptisms! I haven't done them for a while in the temple so it was actually really cool. Normally we're not allowed to participate in baptisms on the mish - no holding hands and that kind of stuff, so it was kind of cool that president asked us to go do it. Of course that meant that we were completely unprepared and didn't have brushes or makeup or anything, but we managed quite well.

After the temple we had a sweet fire-powered testimony meeting and then we got our Christmas presents! A lady in one of the English-speaking wards got presents for all of the two zones that were meeting! That was pretty cool. Now we have stuff to put under our 4 foot plastic tree sitting in our front room. I'm just really glad we have a tree. For a while we didn't think we had one, but one of the Hermanas who served here last year advised us as to where we could find the trees.

Other tidbits for the week:

We met a man who believes in Norse Gods and him and his buddies believe in "war and relaxation"...somehow I fail to see how those correlate

This morning we went to Nahant to watch the sunrise (zone tradition on Wednesday P-day before transfers) and then we went to Ihop because Elder Ang had his 22nd birthday!! He's a crazy Cambodian elder who has more energy than anyone I have EVER met...ever! It was a lot of fun even though it was a bit chilly

It STILL has not snowed! I'm actually kind of glad! It's supposed to rain more tomorrow but still no forecasts of snow. Crazy!

Dominican Spanish is NOT regular Spanish! They drop all their L's and their S's. It is probably the most difficult type of accent for me to figure out.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:40-45 is an awesome fuzzy-warm feel good scripture

I LOVE MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND MISS YOU ALL!!!

Mucho Amor!
Hermana Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment