Jun 12, 2012

Us with the Roslindale hermanas - Us, Sister Rivera, Sister Figuredo, Sister Lopez
I love you family!! Reading your emails just made me very happy. Even Dad with your sneaky (but not lame) email made me very happy.

This week has been a wild ride! Having Sister Rivera is really helping us get going with the work here in Lynn - we have had 10 lessons with a member present which is a HUGE change from our normal 3 or 4 a week. She really has a strong testimony of how getting the members involved is the only way to do missionary work and so far it has proven to be pretty much completely true. I'm excited to see Lynn grow.

So update on Rosa - we talked to her on the phone yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks. She's kind of frozen over. It happens. It's just a little heart-wrenching to know that she was SO close to baptism and that she seemed so committed to come to her new church and to get baptized with her nephew...and now she's too busy and said she'll call us (which is usually code for I'm going to take a break from missionaries for a long time). But we won't give up.

Good story (I don't remember if I already told it), but a week and a half ago we were trying to stop by to visit Rosa (we were making it a daily habit in hopes of catching her at home), and we decided to stop and help this girl named Esther with her MANY grocery bags. She had taken a load to the house and was coming back for more and was having to leave her two little kids in the car so we grabbed a couple loads and brought them into the house and that was that. We started talking to her about the church and she seemed very interested and loved the idea of missionaries being able to come visit her in her home and the fact that we weren't going to judge her because she doesn't have very much. We had a short lesson and introduced the Book of Mormon and taught her how to pray and got her information to forward on to the elders (she speaks English). The elders then had a lesson this last Wednesday and they said it was absolutely AMAZING! They said that when she prayed at the end she said she felt incredible - like she was "on caffine" or something. She is just so ready for the gospel right now. Right after they had called us to tell us how it went, we were driving to the same culdesac where she and Rosa both live to try and visit Rosa again - we saw her and she was taking her 3 year old daughter with her to the park and had her Book of Mormon in hand. We rolled down the windows to say hi and she just kept saying "Thank you! Thank you SO much for this book and for everything you have done for me and my family!" It was pretty tender. I feel like even though Rosa didn't work out, that our heartache was totally worth it so that we could at least find this amazing woman who was just waiting for something to fill her life with.

Well, my time is short, so I'll finish this out list style
  • I got a letter from Andrew! We apparently had the same teacher - Hermano VanVleet! Cool!
  • Sister Rivera gets very excited and loves to talk scriptures with people - we had a 40 minute door contact with this guy that didn't even want to make an appointment or even take a Book of Mormon...go figure
  • I've gotten to go on a couple splits with members this week - which is really weird (not to be with my other two companions) but really fun and new
  • There are a lot of rats here...Sister Hildenbrand is definitely not a fan and I can't say that I much care for them either.
  • Gabby is still moving along - she's gotten at least the Sunday's for the rest of this month off so she should come next week.
  • Carolina came to church for the first time since I've been here! She's a less-active 17 year old and we started teaching her mom and her grandma. 
  • On Friday we had SO much food - ice cream for breakfast, Kelly's Roastbeef on the beach for lunch, Primo's pizza for dinner (from an investigator), cookies, and more ice cream (a member's husband bought us ice cream from an ice cream truck! Cool!). We were SO full!
  • I really am enjoying the thunder storms - I hadn't heard the thunder here until last weeks and it's very rolly
  • I (well, Sister Rivera) finally painted my toenails for the first time in 10 months :)

That is pretty much all. I love you all!!! Thanks for being so cool!

-Sister Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment